www.kadinininsanhaklari.org – email@example.com
Women for Women’s Human Rights (WWHR) – New Ways is an independent women’s non-governmental organization (NGO) that aims to promote women’s human rights, equality and non-discrimination in Turkey and on the international level.
WWHR-New Ways has been founded in 1993 with the aim of promoting women’s human rights in Turkey and around the globe. Its name was inspired by the affirmation of women’s rights as human rights following the 1992 World Conference on Human Rights in Vienna. WWHR-New Ways supports the active and broad participation of women in the establishment and maintenance of a democratic, egalitarian and peaceful social order as free individuals and equal citizens at national, regional and international levels.
Through two decades of persistent activism, advocacy and networking, WWHR-New Ways has become a widely renowned NGO, not just in Turkey but also around the globe. It has contributed significantly to numerous legal reforms; increased rights awareness of women and the realization of women’s human rights in Turkey; the advancement of sexual and bodily rights in Muslim societies, and promotion of women’s human rights at the United Nations (UN) level.
Issues we are working on
• Investigating problems women experience in the sphere of human rights and devising potential solutions;
• Influencing decision making mechanisms at national and international levels;
• Developing and implementing national and international training programs on women’s human rights;
• Developing publications, materials and tools for women’s initiatives to support their organizing and the struggle against gender discrimination;
• Contributing to the establishment and work of effectual solidarity networks among non-governmental organizations working in the fields of gender, human rights and democracy in Turkey, on the regional level (Middle East, North Africa, South and Southeast Asia) and around the world.
Distinctive characteristics of our work
• To approach women’s human rights with a holistic perspective, and take into consideration and address the interrelations between various issues concerning women in our work (such as violence against women, education, political, social and economic rights, legal rights, sexuality, reproductive rights, rights of the girl child, etc.);
• To combine various methods and tools in our efforts such as action-research, publications, training, influencing decision making and policy development mechanisms, creating pressure groups and advocacy;
• To work on and strive to bridge local, national, regional and international levels.
Women for Women’s Human Rights (WWHR) – New Ways was awarded the 1999 Leading Solutions Award by the Association for Women in Development (AWID), in recognition of its contributions to advancing gender equality and social justice. In 2007, it was the recipient of the Gruber Foundation International Women’s Rights Prize for coalition building to increase the knowledge, solidarity, and advocacy on bodily integrity, sexual, reproductive and bodily rights, and human rights among women and men in Muslim societies, and contributing to legal reforms to safeguard women’s human rights and the realization of gender equality in Turkey and around the world. WWHR-New Ways also holds NGO consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the UN since 2005.
Adress : İnönü Caddesi, 29/6 Saadet Apt. Gümüşsuyu, 34437 İstanbul
Phone : 0212 251 00 29
Twitter : https://twitter.com/kadinih